Sunday, February 8, 2009

You know you're sick when...




...your internet is off and it doesn't even matter
...you can't smell the fresh coffee first thing in the morning
...you don't remember when you fall asleep or when you wake up in the middle of the day
...broth tastes better than food
...you're housebound for 4 days and it's o.k.
...you're thankful your husband doesn't complain about leftovers
...your bones feel like you ran a marathon without practicing first
...you wonder what you look like but always forget to look in the mirror 'cause you just want to get back on the couch*

Well, you get the picture. *You know you must look awful when you catch your husband suppressing his laughter as he looks at you.

Anyway, with the long hard winter we've been having, just thinking about spring brings HOPE! Last week one day I looked out my picture window and saw something interesting. We have a small ornamental crab apple tree that is only several years old now. When I noticed it standing there I saw it was being whipped by the wind and had snow blowing all around it. It looked cold and lonely, but strong. The snow must be close to 3' deep around it. (See picture above.) The picture below helps me remember that winter will not last forever and when we have spring and summer we thoroughly enjoy the vast differences. One morning I told Rhonda in Mada that we started out with -30C. They, on the other hand, had +30C over there in the middle of the day.

I once had someone comment to me that us "northerners" must have to stay inside when it's that cold here. I was rather taken aback when I realized she was serious. I didn't remind her that people go to their jobs, kids go to school, and all in all we are, after all, quite normal in those respects. So, yes, in case you're wondering, we do go outside. And, our vehicles even run. We do have heaters that we plug in when we know it's going to be a cold night to make sure they start. And we know how to dress warmly, believe me. If we didn't our exposed skin would be frost bitten in 6 minutes at that temperature.

I wish I had a good quality camera and were a great photograper for some of the breathtaking beauty that God has blessed us with in this area. I wish I could capture the clear blue sky when there's hoarfrost glistening on the bare branches or when the snow is fresh and hanging on all the evergreen branches about 4" thick with that bright blue sky behind it.

And now, for the rest of the story... you know you're getting better when...

...you start to think about others again instead of just yourself
...you're thankful your eyes are back to the right color
...you thank the good Lord for health and pray for friends who aren't getting better

What are you grateful for today? I'd love to know!

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

glad to hear you're feeling better. i'm grateful for a dry house when it's pouring rain today, and for healthy kids. and many other things, but then it would turn into a very long comment. :)

Anonymous said...

Im Thankful for friends that blog interesting blogs and call you even before your birhtday!!thanks for being my friend.
Twila

Robyn said...

I'm thankful for a peaceful walk beside bush AND water tonight. Glad you're feeling better.
I'll post soon...

elise said...

Thanks for the birthday wish!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I'm thankful for being able to spend some time outside, even though it's a little too mild!
I'm thankful for supportive friends!

MJ said...

Hey There!
I'm grateful for the Valentine you sent. I love you, also your a great Friend. MJ