As I think about Mother's Day this year I have a lot of thoughts and emotions; so many events that play into what I am thinking and feeling. Today when I read a nice note from Rhonda I was reminded how I long took my own mom for granted and then kept on doing that in my own role as a mom. I know that since I work with less fortunate girls it has really made me more aware than ever of God's grace in my own life. I have a Godly mother and I used to have Godly grandmothers and a special mom-in-law as well. I know they did an amazing job of nurturing and blessing not just me but many people. I finally caught on from hearing some of these girls stories that learning even basic things such as hygiene and manners are things I shouldn't have assumed to be "normal" things that moms pass on. I also know now that kindness, hard work and prayer are not necessarily the norm for moms in todays world either.
How very blessed I am. Partly because, even though we won't be spending the day together, we still have each other and can talk on the phone, which we often do. I had to think of this because on Friday my Aunt Katie Mae buried her only daughter, my cousin Faye, age 42. I'll post of picture of my mom and her 3 sisters taken a year ago when I was in KS. Also, I had taken a picture of Faye, my sister Kath and my mom, which I'll post. My heart is so sad when I try to imagine what Faye's husband and 3 teenagers will go through tomorrow and in the years ahead on Mother's Day. They do have a wonderful hope to meet her again.
Then, as I think about young moms today and the enormity of their roles my thoughts go out to all of them. I have a lot of admiration for all of you moms with young kids because I know how extremely difficult it can be to be consistent day after day modeling the Love of Jesus while working hard to meet their needs and guiding them along.
I also want to salute my friends who foster kids. I'm especially thinking of Shelley who is a single mom that has chosen to foster 3 kids in addition to raising her own daughter. She works very hard to teach them to love Jesus and to do the right things as life comes at them. Way to go Shelley--don't be weary in doing well!
4 comments:
Happy Mother's day Rita,
Good word Rita,what a beautiful bunch of girls you have brought up who rise up and call you Blessed.
yesterday 10 years ago Mom went to be with Jesus,my family that was together today cried tears of memories,and gratefullnes for a Godly Mother.Lets keep up our Mothering!!
Twila
Thanks, Wendy! Twila, I can't believe how time flies--that doesn't seem like 10 years since your mom left you. Thanks for your examples of good and fun mothering!!
Rita, I enjoyed your Mother's Day blog, on Monday AM., :). Beautiful picture of you and your girls !!
I never take Mothering for granted, and am so grateful for the awesome priviledge; and it continues to go on, even when they have all left home !!
My heart always goes out to those women on Mother's Day who have not been given that priviledge of having children, for whatever the reasons. God bless them, I am sure they have mothered and nutured more "children" than they realize !! Only heaven knows !
Twila, my heart goes out to you, in not having your Mom any more. I was just thinking this Mother's Day how hard it will be to celebrate Mother's Day in the years to come when my Mom has gone on to be with the Lord. I believe I thought of it more this year, beacause my Mom had a slight stroke a couple weeks ago, Praise the Lord she is doing fine !
Also Mom turns 80 in Sept.
Sondra
Post a Comment