Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Heart attack, lupines, and God's grace

What do lupine flowers have to do with a heart attack? On June 21, 2008 I developed chest and arm pains while at work. I called Merle and asked him to drive me to ER, which only took us about 15 min. from the time I first felt the pain. They immediately treated me as such but found no medical evidence from the blood work or the cardiogram tests. After 6 hours of waiting they repeated the tests and found a high level of enzymes which told them I would be admitted to the hospital and watched for a few days. I was feeling tired from the medications they put me on, but could get up and walk around just fine (when they let me!). On Tuesday the 24th they put me on the treadmill but I was barely able to be on for 10 min. before they stopped me and pulled out the nitro. The next step was a trip by medi-plane to Winnipeg for an angiogram. God graciously allowed Merle to fly out with me and we had a wonderful nurse along as well. What turned out to be a 2 hour procedure revealed that I have an abnormal inner wall in one of my LAD vessels. It apparently tore a bit which allowed some build up (different than when plaque builds up from bad cholesterol), which caused the mild heart attack. The nurses here had told me I did the right thing to come so soon for treatment and when the cardiologist in Winnipeg told me that there was no damage done to my heart I felt it was reconfirmed. We saw the hand of the Lord in so many amazing ways throughout the whole week. I don't remember ever feeling like it was the end or anything, but at the onset it was deeply frightening to think I may really be having a heart attack. It has taken awhile to get used to the reality of it all, but God's grace has helped with one day and new thing at a time. I'm on aspirin plus 4 other types of medications each day. My energy level continues to go up each day. I do my 4- 5 minute walks around the house each day and take naps like they're going out of style. Actually, today was the first day that I only have taken one nap and I feel fine. My dear husband has been so wonderful, uncomplaining and understanding as he dealt with his normal (and some out of the normal) routines in life along with all of this. He's cooked, hoed the garden, done laundry, ran many errands, and done many more wonderful acts of kindness and love for me. Thanks Honey! And a big thanks to all of you many friends who've prayed, called, came to visit or sent emails. I was often overwhelmed with it all and deeply appreciate every one who cared.

Since my hill full of lupines were just beginning to bloom when this happened I was wondering if I'd be in the hospital long enough to miss them. When I walked into the sun room on Friday evening and looked out the window the sight was breathtaking! It is just magnificent and I've been telling all who stop by to come look at God's welcome home gift to me.

This is all for this time; time to rest now. Thanks for caring enough to read down this far. I'll do my best to update whenever there is more news.



8 comments:

Robyn said...

You look good. I like your flowors.from Anna-christina

Rita said...

thanks, Anna-Christina! wish you were here to pick a few. they smell really sweet.

Anonymous said...

The flowers are pretty, but seeing you healthy at home is much more beautiful. I've been praying for you a lot - sorry it's taken me so long to let you know!

Anonymous said...

they are very pretty. good job posting, and good job, dad, for all you're doing! :)

Rhonda said...

very nice welcome home gift! thanks for taking the time to type that all out.

Anonymous said...

Wow what a breath takeing hillside with two wonderful people sitting at the bottom. So glad to hear your feeling better and are resting lots. see ya soon.
Twila

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you and know you are feeling better. Keep resting! And bless Merle for all he is and is doing for you!

The flowres really are wonderful. I think I want to get some seeds from you so I can try them on our hill here in PH.

Rita said...

just remind me to give you seeds next time you're out, iris! or better yet, come dig up a few plants so they won't take so long to bloom. great bush flowers! you may want to try other kinds as well. emma taught me to appreciate the wild pearly everlasting that also grow on our hill and they make a nice show mid summer.