Monday, February 4, 2008

My week-end

This past Friday (31 Jan), I had to go to Dryden for the day with work related stuff. So, when I returned at 4:00, I looked to see if S's coat was hanging up, but it wasn't. After taking off my boots, coat, etc., I came back out into the hall and nearly stumbled over her shoes. It caught me by surprise and I said, jokingly (and quite loudly), who's shoes are these? Then I remembered that she may be asleep so I went upstairs to look if she was in her room. She had the door opened and was sound asleep, fully dressed! I wasn't prepared for the emotions it caused in me. Maybe a little like the father had when his prodigal son returned? Unfortunately, I didn't see her or talk to her for about the next 24 hours, as she had to sleep off all the toxins in her body again. She told me that when she sniffs gas, drinks alcohol, etc. (usually a combination), she eats very little or nothing and so, Sat. p.m. when I knocked on her door it didn't take her long to get downstairs and eat a meal. She was shaking slightly from the lack of nutrition.
The upside of all of it is that when her father brought her back, he had to go to M.'s office for something, and M invited him in for a chat. Now that is nothing short of a miracle as far as I'm concerned. And a good chat it was. He is thrilled that his daughter has a safe place to be; he doesn't like to have her in the community because of her tendency to fall back into old habits, etc. He said that he "knows" about living in a Menno. home because he did that at one point in his life. (Ida Martin's oldest brother!) I'm sure this is different, but we got the picture: Trust. Hopefully, now that the men have talked, we will have that point of contact for future reference. And, I must say, God is working in my heart, reminding me again and again that I've only ever heard S's side of the story and never the adults in her life. Also, this has started me on a more regular path of prayer for her Dad and family.
We had the Teen Challenge group from Winnipeg share in church yesterday, followed by a huge potluck. There was one young man along with them that comes from the same community as S., and they talked together afterward. I was just thrilled that she agreed to come listen, even though it makes her uncomfortable to be around a large group like that. God is at work and it's exciting to see it unfold.
I just feel so blessed with all of your encouraging comments. Thanks!
Oh, and yesterday morning we got to talk to our Madagascar family members (even L., which has hardly ever happened before--thanks, L., for your nice song!) And then, we chatted online, with the newly engaged RACHEL. Congratulations, young lady (oh, and to you too, Dave!) M. and I are happy for you both!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! to say the least!I'm so excited about your news seems like the time is getting closer PTL. I will keep Believing God! Oh and yea for our little Rachel girl eh?

Anonymous said...

Twila by the way,sorry

Rhonda said...

great news. keep us posted! it seems like dad talking to her dad is something monumental.

nice to talk to you, too. :)

elise said...

Sorry for not being up-to-date on our phone call today. I wish I would have read this before I called.

I'm looking forward to seeing you both tomorrow. I really hope she doesn't back out.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear she's back with you again and for the positive signs!

Anonymous said...

hey, happy to find your site! and great to hear that S is "home" again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita,
Betty S. from N.d. I found this thru you daughters site! Sounds interesting to me that you have somebody there, and its not one of your own! May the Lord Bless you and guide you as you help her in whatever way you can.Your mission field is right in your home now. Wow! I will be coming back here! Glad you started this. and no I don't have a blog,just email.
Betty